Thursday, September 25, 2014

For King and Country

I was very disappointed about missing Adepticon in 2014 but it was for a very good reason. Now that I am back on schedule I was fully behind our 2015 project representing the English Civil War and the Battle of Marston Moor. I was very eager to defend the righteous King from the upstart Fairfax, Cromwell and the Parliament dogs. This is my first go at collecting and painting an ECW army but one thing I wanted to be sure of was to keep things very simple. My painting responsibility includes the following:

3x units of 16 pike
6x units of 24 shotte
2x units of 12 cavalry
1x unit of 10 Dragoons
1x unit of 12 Cuirassiers
1x cannon
1x General
2x Brigade Generals

Lots to paint and March is just around the corner. Here is my first progress report. I am base coating my army, giving them a wash of the Army Painter 'dip', and hitting them with a dull coat. If I have time I will go back in and give them a highlight but overall I am happy with the look 'as is'. They won't win any painting competitions but they will look fine on the table.

1st unit of pike done with the exception of a banner.

16 shotte done but the back base needs some sand, flock, etc. I will be adding a command stand eventually.

The first 8 of my next 16 pike are done. The command stand is almost base coated and ready for the 'dip'.

A sample of my next Tercio of pike and shotte. I am aware that units from all over England, Ireland, and Scotland had their own colors and there were no uniforms until the New Model Army but I wanted blue to be my color that brings my army together. I will continue to use it as the main color and accent color of my units so there is a consistency to my force. Historically accurate? Probably not but it will be close enough. :)

11 comments:

  1. Most impressie pikes and shotte, excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil. Its amazing what the Army Painter can do. These guys would really pop with some highlights but over 200 more miniatures to go before March so one step at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good Joe! And God Save the King!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a good work for king and country. the guns are required to defend your country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blog is good enough, keep up writing such type of posts.
    bed gun safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Interesting post...Thanks for sharing..look forward for your next blog.

    Unbelievable Black Cloud Clutches Dodge

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting your blogs its so wonderful and i really like it. i reaaly learn a lot from your blogs.

    Unbelievable PCX Technologies

    ReplyDelete
  8. impressive, i really like your work, thanks for sharing and please keep on posting more

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uttarakhand Board Of School Education (UBSE) Responsible For Conducting 12th Annual Examination Starting 12th Class Exam might begin on May 4 and might end on May 22, 2021, UBSE 12th Model Paper 2021 UBSE is an company of Government of Uttarakhand entrusted with the Responsibilities of Prescribing courses of instructions.

    ReplyDelete