Monday, February 4, 2013

Fun With Flags!

 
Last week my order of flags from GBM designs arrived and the first thing that popped into my head was a bit from my favorite show, Big Bang Theory.  I'm no Sheldon Cooper, but like him, I'm excited to welcome you to the amazing word of flags....in this case, confederate flags of the Army of Northern Virginia. 

In looking at the regiments I was painting for my brigade (Heth's Brigade) I found that none of them appeared to have specific regimental standards (at least that I could locate).  It seems that many regiments in the Army of Northern Virginia used the ANV flag (below) or one of the "official" National Flags of the Confederate States of America.  I added in the state flag of Virginia (above) as this felt "right" in some way for the boys from Virginia and would likely have been used although I truthfully have no idea if it appeared with Heth's regiments or at Gettysburg specifically.

So, although I'm sure amateur historians more astute than myself could point out flaws in my logic for flag choices I hope you'll forgive me for being such a period "generalist" who likes to take liberties with the hard facts (i.e. sometimes I'm too damn lazy to research it all!)

The GBM Design flags are awesome.  I tried to dirty them up a bit with some dry pigment but now that I see the pictures I think I need a little more work on them.  I'm thrilled to have two command stands done (minus basing) with another three to go.  As you may notice, I did NOT use the National CSA flag but plan to with my next regiment.  There's something to look forward to!


2 comments:

  1. Looking fantastic Jamie! I really like the GMB flags and always put a state flag and a battle flag on each of my units.

    ReplyDelete