Monday, December 10, 2012

1st NC Cav

Greetings,
         While over the holiday season I decided that it was high time I finished my Cav reg't for my Confederates and GOA brigade. I had these guys sitting on my TV stand primed, just staring me down to paint them so I decided it was high time to get those little buggers done. Now the fun thing about the Cavalry models is most of us are using the exact same ones, which are the Perry Plastics, and it just goes to show how similar uniforms were that with a little change in paint you can make a very distinct uniform.
As usual my Photography is not amazing, but it also doesn't help tha tone of my lights broke:( so I am left with one. Anyways as was seen on my infantry reg't they are still unbased as I plan to do them all in one go so as to not mess up and misshade the army. As is also the case I have no standard atm :( (big frowny face) as I can't seem to find any that match the reg't! I contacted Flag Dude and with no response I looked at GMB but they don't have the ones I need. Rumor mill has it though that they are about to add a bunch more for the ACW so here's to keep my fingers crossed as I think they have some of the best flags on the market.
A side view of a few of my riders, one of the reason I love the Confederate Uniforms is because of the versatility of them. They would brush up their clothes and that could be the dress uniform, also color wise you get to have a lot of fun because after 1861 their was really no standard as they didn't have the industrial abilities as the North.
I love this model with the black hat here as he screams classic reb, the downside was I dropped him while painting so he pistol broke so he is just mimicking his cohorts. Had I though about it I would have converted some of them with their rifles but I will save that for the rest of the brigade that I do after Adepticon.
Finally a close up of one of the faces. I used GW paints for the skin as I enjoy the end result and they don't come out too cartoony for my liking. I did eyes on everything(which I hate) and even did one highlight to all of the blacks. All in all I am happy with the result as I enjoy the look so far of the army as a whole. Everything has around 5-6 layers on it to achieve the effect minus say a few items as I didn't want to go to light. I am doing this so as to have a smoother contrast to the models...plus I all around enjoy the ACW period. If you are at Adepticon stop on by and check all of the guys armies out as I garuntee it will be a show unto itself:)! Finally next up is the brigade commander Gen. Pettigrew and the brigades artillery as well as limbers. Until then thanks for reading and keep painting..oh ya DAVID PAUWELS LETS SEE SOME UPDATES SLACKER!!!!
-Alex



2 comments:

  1. I agree. Nice job on the cav Alex. I have to say that you shouldn't taunt my fellow Union brothers because we might have to burn your home down.

    Dave is our resident Ninja painter. You don't know where or when he will strike but when he does he will leave you in awe. :)

    ReplyDelete